Virginia All Stars Optional Program
We have given PREP OPT a new name in Virginia – it will be called the “VIRGINIA ALL STARS OPTIONAL PROGRAM”. Our goal is to provide an alternative optional program to all of our Level 4-8 JO gymnasts, High School gymnasts and recreational gymnasts.
Feedback is appreciated and can be directed to VAUSAG State Administrative Chairman, Steve Garman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2012-2013 VAOP Requirement & Guidelines - UPDATED 11/9/12
I. VAOP follows the USAG Prep Optional participation guidelines to provide an alternative Optional competitive program to serve any or all of the following athletes:
- Those who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program and have qualified to Level 7 or 8 but need a more basic introduction to optional competition.
- Those who have competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program at the Compulsory level and would like to experience a basic optional program during their “off” season.
- Athletes who have either “retired” from the Jr. Olympic Program or do not wish to train or compete at Level 7 or 8.
- Those who have never been involved in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program and are involved with programs/organizations that have not traditionally used the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program.
II. GENERAL REGULATIONS FROM USAG RULES AND POLICIES FOR PREP OPTIONAL PARTICIPATION:
- Athletes must be registered USA Gymnastics Athlete or Introductory Athlete members
- In order to coach on the floor of a USAG-sanctioned PREP Optional competition, a Professional, Jr. Professional, or Introductory Coach membership is required.
- Since this program is an alternative program that is outside of the Jr. Olympic Development Program structure, there is NO OPPORTUNITY FOR MOBILITY into or within the Jr. Olympic Levels.
- If a gymnast has never competed in the USA Gymnastics Jr. Olympic Program (Levels 1-10) but wishes to compete in the P.R.E.P. Optional Program, she must register as an Introductory Athlete Member. If at a later time in the same competitive year she wishes to move to Level 4 or 5, she must upgrade her membership by submitting a regular Athlete Membership application and pay the difference in price. If a gymnast already has a regular athlete membership, she does not have to change or purchase a new membership for PREP Optional.
- If a USA Gymnastics Level 5 or 6 gymnast chooses to compete in the P.R.E.P. Optional Program, she must still meet the mobility requirements to advance from Level 5 to Level 6, or Level 6 to Level 7.
- P.R.E.P. Optional competitions must follow the current Women’s Rules and Policies in regards to the Equipment Specifications, using the compulsory competition specifications as a minimum standard.
- P.R.E.P. Optional competitions must be judged by USA Gymnastics officials certified at a minimum of a Level 5 rating. If Compulsory rated officials are assigned, it is recommended that they be assigned to judge with an Optional (Level 7/8 or above) rated official
- Local meets may be judged by a one-judge panel, provided that they have a minimum of a Level 7/8 rating.
- If a one-judge panel is used, it must be indicated on the officials’ contract.
- The rules, regulations and format used by a specific state and/or region must be published and/or posted on the internet, especially for invitational competitions that may involve participants from multiple states.
III. Per guidelines set by USAG R&P, the VA USAG State Administrative Committee has determined the following aspects of VAOP:
- ELIGIBILITY/ENTRY REGULATIONS
- QUALIFYING PROCEDURES
- FORMAT, SUB-DIVISIONS, AND/OR AGE DIVISIONS
- DIFFICULTY – VALUE AND REQUIREMENTS
- MAXIMUM START VALUE
- EVENT REQUIREMENTS & RESTRICTIONS
- TIMING OF BEAM AND FLOOR ROUTINES
- ALLOWABLE VAULTS AND START VALUES